mandag 12. oktober 2015

Difference between British and American English

Checkpoints

1.

Some words that are pronounced different:



British
American
Dance
da-ns
dæns
Rather
'ra-dø'r
'ræthe'r
Awful
åhfol
åfoul
Car
ka-h
ka'r
Pillar
pilla-h
pille'r



2.

The five main spelling differences from British to American:

1. Some words that end in -ter in AE end in -tre in BE
Example: theater, theatre

2. Some words that end in -og in AE end in -ogue in BE
Example: monolog, monologue and catalog, catalogue

3. Some words that end in -or in AE end in -our in BE
Example: color, colour

4. Verbs that end in -ize/yze in AE end in -ise/yse in BE
Example: analyze, analyse

5. In BE, the -l at the end of a word is doubled when a new ending is added. In AE the -l is only doubled if the stress is originally in the second syllable
Example: rebel-rebelled is similar in both AE and BE, but travel-traveler in AE will in BE be travel-traveller


Language work

BE: I am knackered and I must go to the loo.
AE: I am tired and have to go to the toilet.

BE: Are there any WCs close by?
AE: Are there any bathrooms near?

BE: Must I queue up behind that bloke?
AE: Do I have to stand in line behind that guy?

BE: Is there a chemist anywhere close?
AE: Is there pharmacy nearby?

BE: I am peckish.
AE: I am starting to get hungry

BE: At the zebra crossing the lollipop lady directed us to take a diversion, but my lorry was out of petrol and it was impossible.
AE: At the zebra crossing the crossing guard directed us to take a detour, but my truck was out of gas and it was impossible


My own language work c:

Translate these sentences from BE to AE.

On the pavement outside of the shop there were loads of from sweets wrappers.
The lift up to my flat is broken.
The underground shop sells crisps and biscuits in the fall.

 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar